When you apply for regular CFA Institute membership, you will be asked to attest that your work experience meets the following qualifications.
At least four years (48 months) of experience in:
- Evaluating or applying financial, economic, and/or statistical data as part of the investment decision-making process involving securities or similar investments (e.g., publicly traded and privately placed stocks, bonds, and mortgages and their derivatives; commodity-based derivatives and mutual funds; and other investment assets, such as real estate and commodities, if these are held as part of a diversified, securities-oriented investment portfolio).
- Supervising, directly or indirectly, persons who practice these activities.
- Teaching such activities.
For each position submitted, at least 50% of your time should be spent directly involved in the investment decision-making process or producing a work product that informs or adds value to that process. Work must be full time and can be earned before, during, or after participation in the CFA Program. Managing your own investments does not qualify.
Describing Your Work Experience
- Enter only positions that qualify as acceptable work experience.
- Job titles are not enough; include details about your responsibilities.
- You must attest that the duties performed in each submitted position qualify as acceptable professional work experience.
- You may save and update your work experience record until you have submitted your application to CFA Institute.
Apply for membership