The Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct ("Code and Standards") are the ethical benchmark for investment professionals around the globe, regardless of job title, cultural differences, or local laws. As a CFA Institute member or CFA Program candidate, you are required to follow the Code and Standards.
Read the Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct
What Does the Code and Standards Cover?
The Code of Ethics maintains that you must:
The Standards of Professional Conduct cover:
- Place the integrity of the profession and the interests of clients above your own interests
- Act with integrity, competence, and respect
- Maintain and develop your professional competence
- Professionalism and integrity of the capital markets
- Duties to clients and employers
- Investment analysis and recommendations
- Conflicts of interest and your responsibilities
What is the Standards of Practice Handbook?
The Standards of Practice Handbook grounds the concepts covered in the Code and Standards for practical use. You can use this handbook for guidance on how to navigate ethical dilemmas you might face in your daily professional life.
Updating the Code and Standards
CFA Institute recently completed a periodic review of the Code and Standards as well as the accompanying Standards of Practice Handbook. Learn more.
Questions? Contact us