As a registered candidate in the CIPM program, you must comply with all exam rules and regulations, including the CIPM program and testing policies below, the candidate responsibility statement, and instructions provided at the testing center. Candidates who violate these conditions may have their exam results voided and may be suspended or expelled from the CIPM program.
CIPM Calculator Policy
Only two calculator models are authorized for use during CIPM program exams:
- Texas Instruments BA II Plus (including BA II Plus Professional)
- Hewlett Packard 12C (including the HP 12C Platinum, 12C Platinum 25th anniversary edition, 12C 30th anniversary edition, and HP 12C Prestige)
Both authorized models are widely available through retail stores or online. Buy an approved calculator early so you can practice using it as you study.
Bring the approved calculator with you on exam day; calculators will not be available at the test center.
Find a Texas Instruments calculator distributor or purchase online.
Find a Hewlett Packard calculator distributor or purchase online.
Please note that CFA Institute does not profit from the sales of these calculators. CFA Institute does not endorse, warrant, or guarantee the calculators or any other products or services provided by these distributors.
CFA Institute strictly enforces all policies with regard to calculator usage during the exams and candidates are required to abide by the policies of CFA Institute.
Your calculator will be inspected prior to the start of the exam. Your calculator must remain on your desk in full view and proctors will continue to inspect calculators throughout the administration of the exam. Possession or use of an unauthorized calculator at the test center will result in the voiding of your exam results and may lead to the suspension or termination of your candidacy in the CIPM program. Failure by the proctors to detect an unauthorized calculator prior to the start of the exam, or your use of an unauthorized calculator at any time during the exam, does not imply that the calculator is an approved model or that your scores will ultimately be reported.
Calculator covers, keystroke cards, and loose batteries are permitted in the testing room; instruction manuals are not. You may keep a small screwdriver with you if necessary to replace batteries in the BA II Plus.
CIPM Candidate Pledge Policy
At the test center, your agreement to abide by the candidate pledge is required in order to take the exam. Ensure that you understand the CIPM Program Candidate Pledge in its entirety.
Note that candidate fees are non-refundable, non-deferrable, and non-transferable, should you choose not to continue with the exam.
Sample Candidate Pledge (may vary on exam day)
I certify, understand, and agree to the following conditions:
- All exam materials, including my answers, are the property of CFA Institute and will not be given to me in any form except on the exam itself.
- My violation of any rules of the CIPM program will result in CFA Institute voiding my exam results and may lead to suspension or termination of my candidacy in the CIPM program.
- Prior to this exam, I have neither given nor received any information regarding the questions on the exam.
- During this exam I will not use reference materials or scratch paper (writing paper, calculator keystroke card, or any other surface) other than the dry erase board provided to me by the exam proctor.
- I will use only the Texas Instruments BAII Plus calculator (including Professional and Business Analysis) or Hewlett Packard 12C calculator (including 12C Platinum) with memory function cleared prior to the start of the exam.
- I will neither give nor receive any assistance throughout the exam process.
- I will not remove any exam materials from the exam room in any form except for what I was permitted to bring in.
- After this exam, I will not disclose any portion of this exam not already disclosed by CFA Institute.
CIPM Exam Record Policy
Detailed exam scores and responses to exam questions are measurement information and are part of a candidate's exam record. This information is owned by CFA Institute. This information is not the property of the candidate and will not be provided to candidates for any reason.
CIPM Expert Level Formula Policy
Certain formulas in the Expert curriculum need not be memorized because they will be accessible on the computer screen during the exam. If an item set requires calculations using one or more of the formulas listed below, the appropriate formulas will appear as pop-up exhibits in the related item set questions. This policy applies only to the formulas listed below. You are responsible for memorizing all other formulas used in the Expert curriculum.
The specified formulas will be shown exactly as they appear in the attached PDF document.
CIPM Expert Level Formula Policy (PDF)
This policy applies only to the formulas listed in the PDF document above. The candidate is responsible for memorizing all other formulas used in the CIPM Expert curriculum.
CIPM Identification Policy
CFA Institute requires an international travel passport* from every candidate. This policy sets forth one global standard, in the form of a single document that is both internationally obtainable and recognizable, that allows us to confirm the identity of our candidates, and to ensure that all candidates receive identical treatment during the exam day admissions process.
This policy applies to all new and returning candidates, and is strictly enforced.
It is your responsibility to read and understand the instructions and requirements below.
- You must enter and verify your valid international travel passport* information to enroll in and register for the CIPM program.
- If your passport information changes (e.g., name, expiration date, passport number, country of issuance) update your CFA Institute account by submitting an Identification Information Change Request Form (PDF). Once submitted, processing may take up to two weeks.
- You must present your international travel passport* on exam day. If you do not present a valid international travel passport or the information in our records does not exactly match the information on your passport, you will not be permitted to take the exam and you will forfeit your registration fee. If an invalid ID is discovered after the start of the exam, it does not imply the ID is valid or that your scores will ultimately be reported.
Is Your International Travel Passport Valid?
In order for your passport to be considered valid it must:
- Be a current (not expired) international travel passport*
- Include a recognizable photograph of you on the passport data page.
- Contain your name†, date of birth, passport number, expiration date, and country of issuance. How to locate this information on your passport (PDF).
- Exactly match the information you provided to CFA Institute.
- Be an original document. Photocopies will not be accepted.
*An international travel passport is a document issued by a national government which certifies, for the purpose of international travel, the identity and nationality of its holder. It is the only acceptable form of identification for the CIPM program. Passport cards, national identification cards, limited travel documents, and internal passports are not valid forms of identification for the CIPM program. Read more detailed information.
|Name on Passport
||Name on Pearson VUE Roster|
|Doe Maria Jane
||Maria Jane Doe|
|Maria Jane Doe
||Jane Maria Doe|
|MARIA JANE DOE
||Maria Jane Doe|
|Maria Jane Doé
||Maria Jane Doe| CIPM Personal Belongings Policy
You are strongly encouraged to leave your personal belongings at home or in your car. As a courtesy, your test center will have an area away from the testing room designated for personal belongings. If testing personnel find items that are not permitted, you will be required to place them in the personal belongings area. You will not have access to these items during the exam.
Please note that it is not the responsibility of the testing personnel to ensure the safety of the materials in the personal belongings area. Neither CFA Institute nor the test center, testing personnel, or vendors will assume responsibility or liability for stolen, lost, or damaged personal property left in this area.
The following items are permitted in the testing room but must be kept in full view on your desk when not in use:
- Approved calculator
- Calculator cases and keystroke cards
No other items are permitted, including:
- Food or drinks
- Wallet (money purse)
- Baggage of any kind, including transparent bags, backpacks, handbags, tote bags, briefcases, luggage, carrying cases, passport covers, or eyeglass cases
- Study materials, including notes, papers, textbooks, or study guides
- Writing utensils, scratch paper, or calculator manuals
- Mobile phones, MP3 players, cameras, pagers, headsets, computers, electronic organizers, personal data assistants, smart watches, or any other remote communication or photographic devices
- Any type of desk clock or timer, including wristwatches
You will be provided with a whiteboard/erasable writing tablet for use during the exam.
CIPM Principles Level Formula Policy
Candidates sitting for the Principles exam will need to know and be able to apply all formulas that are contained in the Principles curriculum. No formulas will be provided on the computer screen during the exam.
Exam Registration / Appointment Policies
CIPM Admission Policy
You agree that if you arrive late for your appointment you may be refused admission. If you are refused admission, your exam fees are non-refundable, and non-transferable. CFA Institute recommends that you arrive 30 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment.
CIPM Cancellation Policy
If you wish to cancel your exam appointment, you must contact Pearson VUE 24 hours prior to your appointment. If you cancel less than 24 hours prior to your scheduled appointment, you must register for the CIPM exam again and pay all applicable fees.
CIPM Refund Policy
Full refunds are available within two business days of payment if you
change your mind. Due to fluctuating exchange rates outside our control,
we cannot guarantee that the exact amount paid to CFA Institute will be
the same amount (in other currency) returned. Registration refunds are
also considered on a case-by-case basis for life-threatening or very
serious illnesses (candidate or immediate family), natural disasters,
and mandatory military service. This does not guarantee a refund to any
candidate for any condition but instead provides CFA Institute with the
discretion to determine which requests it approves and denies.
Candidates awarded a refund are responsible for all applicable new
curriculum charges. Refund requests must be received by CFA Institute
prior to the scheduled exam or within 10 U.S. business days after the
exam date. All refunds will be issued using the same payment method used
CIPM Rescheduling Policy
If you have scheduled your exam appointment and you wish to reschedule, you must contact Pearson VUE at least 24 hours prior to your appointment. Your rescheduled exam appointment must fall within your original exam window.
CIPM Scheduling Policy
You acknowledge that you are responsible for scheduling your exam appointment with Pearson VUE. Appointments must be scheduled at least 7 days before your exam window closes. If you fail to schedule your appointment or fail to sit for the exam within your exam window, your exam fees are non-refundable, non-deferrable, and non-transferrable.
Misconduct and Rules Violations
If you engage in any misconduct during the exam, you may be dismissed from the test center and subject to other penalties, including voiding of exam results and suspension or termination of your candidacy in the CIPM program.
You agree that you will not cheat and that all work submitted by you in completing the CIPM exam, including exam answers and information provided during the registration process, is entirely your own. You will not give or receive assistance on the exam, attempt to communicate with fellow candidates or other persons during the exam, or use unauthorized materials during the exam.
You understand and agree that the CIPM exam is confidential and proprietary information of CFA Institute. You agree to maintain the confidentiality of the CIPM exam and not disclose, whether verbally or in writing, the content of the exam or any part of the exam. You further agree not to request any other individual to disclose the exam or any part of the exam to you.
You agree that you will not: (i) create a disturbance during the exam; (ii) remove exam information or notes from the testing room; (iii) falsify your identity or impersonate another individual to gain access to the exam; (iv) cheat; (v) use unauthorized materials during the exam (this includes but is not limited to using scratch paper, headsets, listening devices, paging devices (beepers), mobile phones, recording or photographic devices and study materials); (vi) use unauthorized distributions of exam questions, with or without answers, in preparation for the exam; (vii) copy, resell, distribute or misuse any CIPM exam offer code(s) or any other CIPM exam discount; (viii) violate any term of this agreement; (ix) violate the Pearson VUE exam agreement in any way; or (x) engage in any other misconduct that could be considered by CFA Institute, in its sole discretion, as compromising the integrity, security or confidentiality of the CIPM program.
You agree that you will not copy, publish, disclose, transmit, sell, offer to sell, post, distribute, or otherwise transfer, modify, make derivative works of, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or translate the exam or exam content, in whole or in part, in any form or by any means, verbal or written, electronic or mechanical, for any purpose.
CFA Institute may change its conditions, requirements, policies, and procedures governing the CIPM program and CFA Institute membership from time to time. Candidates and members are required to adhere to the revised conditions, requirements, policies, and procedures, which will be published in various CFA Institute publications, including the CFA Institute Bylaws, and on this website.
If you have witnessed or know of a violation of the CIPM program exam policies by a candidate, we encourage you to report violations here.