The Nominating Committee of the CFA Institute Board of Governors is tasked with the great honor of recognizing individuals in the CFA Institute community for their exemplary leadership, impactful contributions, longstanding service, and commitment to ethics and standards. The committee is responsible for seven prestigious awards:
- Award for Professional Excellence
- Distinguished Service Award, in honor of Alfred C. “Pete” Morley
- Outstanding Contribution to CFA Institute Education Programs Award, in honor of C. Stewart Sheppard
- Leadership in Professional Ethics and Standards of Investment Award, in honor of Daniel J. Forrestal III
- Leadership in Global Investment Award, in honor of Thomas L. Hansberger
- Special Service Award
Each recipient is recognized with a monetary contribution made in his or her honor to the organization of his or her choosing. Donations are made to organizations that support the mission of CFA Institute to promote the highest standards of ethics, education, and professional excellence for the ultimate benefit of society.
More information about the awards and past recipients (PDF)
Honoring Our Award Recipients
On 17 October 2016, Raymond J. DeAngelo received the Distinguished Service Award, in honor of Alfred C. "Pete" Morley, from Tom Bowman, CFA, Former President and CEO of CFA Institute.
On 22 September 2016, Douglas R. Lempereur, CFA, CIPM, FRM received the Outstanding Contribution to CFA Institute Education Programs Award, in honor of C. Stewart Sheppard, from Paul Smith, CFA, President and CEO of CFA Institute.
On 14 October 2016, Leyla G. Kassem, CFA, received the Special Service Award from Fred Lebel, CFA, Board of Governors Chair and Dan Fasciano, CFA, Presidents Council Chair.
On 10 May 2016, John Kay, FSIP, received the Leadership in Professional Ethics and Standards of Investment Award, in honor of Daniel J. Forrestal III, from Fred Lebel, CFA, Board of Governors Chair.
The guiding principles of the awards are as follows:
- To support CFA Institute's leadership position in the investment profession and recognize those individuals whose achievement, example, or contributions have helped raise standards of education, integrity, and professional excellence.
- To encourage CFA Institute members and those in the investment profession globally to uphold standards of best practice, excellence, and financial market integrity.
- To promote, in conjunction with other CFA Institute initiatives (e.g. ethics, education, professional standards, and advocacy) a framework for highlighting and rewarding those individuals who demonstrate the highest standards of professionalism and promote financial market integrity.
The aim of the Nominating Committee is to focus on the most deserving candidates and not to present every award every year. Accordingly, the Board of Governors has adopted a policy of giving approximately half of the available awards each year. This policy, based upon identification of the most qualified candidates, and presenting awards on a broadly alternating basis, is designed to heighten the importance of each award and enrich the awards experience overall.