To lead the investment profession globally by promoting the highest standards of ethics, education, and professional excellence for the ultimate benefit of society.
The mission of CFA Institute is served by generating value for core investment management professionals and engaging with the core investment management industry to advance ethics, market integrity, and professional standards of practice, which collectively contributes value to society.
Core investment management professionals are those individuals primarily involved in activities related to the investment decision-making process—generally portfolio managers, financial advisors, and research analysts on both the buy and sell side.
The core investment management industry is comprised of firms (or larger firm business lines) primarily engaged in asset management (mutual funds, hedge funds, private equity, real estate investment, investment research and ratings, and investment advisory services), wealth management, fiduciary asset ownership (such as pension funds, endowments, and sovereign wealth funds), and their related regulators and standard setters.
- Serve all finance professionals seeking investment management-related education, knowledge, professional development, connection, or inspiration
- Lead the investment profession's thinking in the areas of ethics, capital market integrity, and excellence of practice
CFA Institute seeks to set professional standards for investment management practitioners and broadly engage other finance professionals through their interest and interactions with the investment management industry. Improving outcomes for investors advances our social mission and benefits members through greater demand for educated and ethical investment management professionals.
We believe that financial markets and services should operate in the following ways:
- Investment professionals contribute to the ultimate benefit of society through the sustainable value generated by efficient financial markets and by effective investment institutions.
- Good stewardship and high ethical standards are necessary for trust and confidence to be secured and for society to be served. Financial markets should afford every investor the opportunity to earn a fair return.
- Financial markets are more effective with knowledgeable, diverse participants.
- High ethical principles and professional standards are essential to positive outcomes; rules and regulations, while necessary, are not sufficient by themselves.
As a global, independent organization, we play a role in being a steward and champion of the investment management industry.
In addition to direct benefits to their clients, the work of investment management professionals and the impact of the investment management industry also benefits society through improved investor outcomes and the resulting effective allocation of capital that drives economic growth and development.
Our strategy is:
- To develop future professionals through relevant and accessible credentialing programs,
- To deliver member value that accelerates the professional success of our members, and
- To build market integrity that benefits investors and our members that serve them
We aspire to develop global financial markets that serve the public interest. The overall outcomes that we believe will contribute to this aspiration are a community of educated, ethical investment management professionals and financial markets that reflect CFA Institute beliefs.
As detailed below, our long-term aspirational vision of success includes all investment management professionals working as a community for the ultimate benefit of society.
- Develop Future Professionals
Education is the foundation of professional competence. We develop future investment management professionals through credentialing programs that require the application of technical knowledge and an appropriate ethical framework to guide decision making.
We aspire to 100% market penetration.
- Deliver Member Value
We equip and support members so they can better serve their clients and further develop their professional careers. This aim is enabled through an active local professional community, professional recognition from employers and regulators, and
the creation and delivery of high-value content.
We aspire to 100% member satisfaction.
- Build Market Integrity
Setting global standards and advocating for professional excellence are activities that ultimately benefit society by improving both investor protections and investor outcomes.
We aspire to 100% industry penetration.