We rely on our CFA charterholders and other financial professionals to serve as event organizers, faculty advisers, industry mentors, graders, and judges at the local, regional, and global levels of competition.
Learn how the Research Challenge works
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Organizing a local challenge: Volunteers set up and administer a local Research Challenge competition, liaising with participating universities, local publicly funded companies, and corporate sponsors.
- Advising a university team: Faculty advisers provide a link between the local challenge hosts and their university; they assemble the team for their university and guide students through all levels of the competition.
- Mentoring students: Student teams are assigned industry mentors to assist them throughout the competition. The time spent with each team is limited to six hours.
- Grading student research reports: Report graders review, critique, and score the student teams' research reports.
- Judging student presentations: Judges listen to, critique, and score the student teams' presentations. Each presentation is 10 minutes in length followed by 10 minutes of questions and answers.
One additional benefit of becoming a volunteer is the opportunity to earn CE credits. The credits are processed at the end of each season in May and are distributed as follows:
- Industry Mentors: 1 CE credit/1 SER credit
- Graders: 4 CE credits
- Judges: 4 CE credits
If you would like to learn more about available volunteer opportunities with the Research Challenge, please contact your local CFA Institute member society or the Research Challenge team.