CFA Exam Personal Belongings Policy (Paper-Based Exam)
The CFA Exam Personal Belonging Policy lists the items that may be permitted in the testing room and those that may not.
Our top priority is your health and safety. As a result, we have made some changes to the Personal Belongings Policy (Paper-Based Exam) for the December 2020 exam. The changes to the policy will reduce touch-points and will help to promote physical distancing.
- You will be required to bring and wear a face covering during the entirety of your time at the test center or you will not be allowed to enter the testing room and your exam will be terminated. Both medical masks or cloth face coverings are acceptable. Face shields without a mask underneath are not permitted.
- Small bags (that fit under a chair) will be permitted. You are strongly encouraged to leave your personal belongings at home or in your car. Personal belongings areas will not be available at test centers.
- Water bottles (sealed) will be permitted. Water stations will not be available at test centers.
- Personal cleaning/sanitizing supplies will be permitted.
The following item must be kept on your desk:
- Exam admission ticket
The following items may be kept on your desk:
- Manual pencil sharpeners (no knives)
- Erasers, with no holder or cover
- Loose calculator batteries (no packaging) and screwdriver for battery replacement
- Calculator cases and keystroke cards
- Eyeglasses (but not the eyeglasses case); eyeglass cleaning cloths
- Ear plugs
- Wristwatches (analog and digital) with alarms and timers silenced; all smart watches are prohibited.
- Medicine, tissues, and other necessary medical or personal items
- Gum, hard candy (boiled sweets), cough drops
The following items must be kept on the floor when not in use:
- Water bottle
- Personal cleaning/sanitizing supplies
- Extra face coverings
The following items must be kept on the floor and NOT accessed at any time during the timed portion of the exam:
- Study materials, including notes, papers, textbooks, or study guides must be kept in a bag (not a clear bag)
- Small bag for transporting personal belongings (must fit under your chair)
- Valid International travel passport
- Mobile phones and other electronic devices. All devices must be powered OFF.
- Wallet (money purse)
- Packed lunch
The following items are not permitted:
- Scratch paper, present/future value tables, or calculator manuals
- Highlighters, correction fluid, correction tape, or rulers
- Weapons of any kind
- Smart watches, fitness trackers, remote communication, and photographic devices
- Any type of desk clock or timer
CFA® Institute, testing personnel, the test center, and vendors are not responsible or liable for stolen, lost, misplaced, or damaged personal property at the test center.