Why the GIPS Standards Matter
The Global Investment Performance Standards (GIPS®) are voluntary, ethical standards for calculating and presenting investment performance based on the principles of fair representation and full disclosure.
Investment performance is a fundamental part of all investing, and it is relevant to every investment and to every investor. It is important for the evaluation of progress against objectives, the selection of managers, and the calculation of incentives. Investment firms and asset owners that adopt the GIPS standards display their commitment to ethics and transparency and instil investor confidence.
Just do it. When we started this, I believed the end goal would be worth it, but we didn’t realize how valuable the process would be in helping us transform. The results have gone far beyond our expectations.
What do Firms Gain by Complying with the GIPS Standards?
- Increased investor confidence
- Robust policies and procedures
- Ability to compete fairly on a global basis
What Do Investors Want?
Firms that comply with the GIPS standards adhere to requirements for not only return calculations but also for fair and complete disclosures about the product that is being marketed.
Investors can be confident that the returns are calculated and presented on a consistent basis and are objectively comparable with those reported by other firms claiming compliance with the GIPS standards.
Investors can have a high degree of confidence that the information shown in a GIPS Report accurately reflects the results of the firm’s past investment decisions.
Want to Learn More?
Visit the GIPS standards website to find more information about the GIPS standards, including:
- GIPS standards tailored for different users.
- GIPS Standards Handbooks, which include detailed explanations for applying the GIPS standards. The GIPS Standards Q&A database contains questions and answers (Q&As) on various searchable topics.
- Tools and resources for implementing and complying with the GIPS standards.
- News and event related to the GIPS standards. Subscribe to the monthly GIPS Standards Newsletter to stay informed.
25th Annual GIPS® Standards Virtual Conference
- If you missed the conference, you can register now to gain access to select sessions featuring expert speakers. Your registration fee of USD 199 will include on-demand recordings until 26 January 2022. Register Now.
- Conference attendees can view on-demand recordings and more on the Virtual Attendee Hub using your registered event email address. All on-demand recordings are available until 26 January 2022.