Calculating and Documenting Your MCE Credits
CIPM designation holders are required to earn 15 Mandatory Continuing Education (MCE) credits per calendar year to maintain the right to use their designation.
How We Define a Credit Hour
- One CE credit hour is defined as one 60-minute hour of educational activity
- Credit hours can be earned in quarter-hour increments (rounded to the nearest quarter hour)
- As a general rule, no single self-study activity may earn greater than 20 credits (e.g., reading a single textbook should qualify for no more than 20 credits)
- Certain CFA Institute pre-qualified activities and activities with standard reference times may earn more than 20 credits
- Credits in excess of the requirement may not be carried forward to the next cycle
Calculating Your Credit Hours
Members should calculate credit hours earned under the Mandatory Continuing Education (MCE) program based upon one of the following types of activities:
CFA Institute conferences and programs have a predetermined number of eligible credits. When documenting these types of activities, you should refer to the number of credit hours advertised by the conference or program sponsor.
For activities that are not pre-qualified or for which standard reference times are undefined, you should record the actual duration of the educational portion of the activity, up to the maximum of 20 credits.
Samples of Activities
Documenting Your Mandatory CE Credits
Please document the following information to get credit for your MCE Program participation:
- A description of the educational activity (include details such as title, author/presenter, event date, event location, etc.)
- Applicable Global Body of Investment Knowledge (GBIK) (PDF) topics and/or a description of how the activity contributed to your development as an investment performance professional
- Activity completion date
- Number of credits earned
We encourage you to record this information as soon as possible after completing each activity.
You can track your educational activities in any electronic format (e.g., Excel), or you can use our documentation form provided at the link below.
Please retain documentation of your MCE credits for one full calendar year following the annual reporting cycle in which the activities were completed. You do not need to submit your documentation unless we notify you that you’ve been selected for compliance review.