The CIPM Program includes two exams which must be taken sequentially: Principles and Expert. Both exams are:
- Offered during the month of April and the month of September at many Pearson VUE test centers around the world.
- Scheduled by you, at your preferred test center. (Find a CIPM exam location near you.)
- Available in English only.
The Principles exam emphasizes the conceptual foundations of performance measurement, attribution, and appraisal.
The Expert exam emphasizes performance evaluation and presentation, including application of the appropriate tools and inputs in more complex situations.
- Expert exam 2015 study session outlines (PDF)
- Exam format: 80 item set questions (20 scenarios; each one followed by four multiple choice questions (each question has three answer options))
- Time to complete the exam: Three hours (180 minutes)
- Formulas: You need to know and be able to apply all formulas that are contained in the Expert curriculum. (No formulas will be provided during the exam.)
- Examples of Expert exam questions (PDF)
2016 Topic Area Weights
|Major Topic Area
|Performance Appraisal and Manager Selection
|Performance Presentation and GIPS Standards
Note: These weights serve as a high level guide for the curriculum and exam development processes. Actual exam weights may vary slightly from year to year. Please note that some topics are combined for testing purposes.
At the Test Center
Learn more about the test center experience, including what to expect when you check in.