Fulfilling Your MPL Commitment
Participate in qualifying MPL activities that contribute to your development as an investment professional and lifelong learner. To earn your required 15 credits each year, choose activities that
- are educational in nature,
- relate to learning topics derived from the Global Body of Investment Knowledge, or
- are geared toward increasing your knowledge, skills, and abilities as an investment professional.
Find out more about eligible activities for earning your MPL credits.
To maintain your CIPM designation, you must:
Earn and Record 15 PL Credits
Complete 15 credit hours of qualifying activities following the year in which you earned or renewed your CIPM designation, and record your progress.
Attest to Completing the Requirements
When you renew your membership, you will be prompted to attest to your participation in MPL.
Maintain Your Documentation
Keep documentation of your activities for one year following the year you completed the activities in case of compliance review.
How to Earn and Track Your MPL credits
- One PL credit is equal to one hour of educational activity.
- Credit may also be earned in half-hour or quarter-hour increments (rounded to the nearest quarter hour).
- The minimum credit amount that can be assigned to any activity is 0.25.
- For such activities as readings and reviewing content, calculate credit hours earned using one of the following methods:
- Clock time: Allocate the actual time you spent engaged in the educational activity.
- Generalist readings: Allocate 2 minutes per page.
- Specialized/highly technical readings: Allocate 4 minutes per page.
No single self-study activity may earn more than 20 credit hours (e.g., reading a single textbook should qualify for no more than 20 credits).
See examples of qualifying credit activities for more information.
You can record your PL activities with the following resources:
- Use the one-click functionality available on our website and in our mobile app to claim credit directly from PL-eligible content.
- Use your PL Tracker to record your progress and add credits for other PL-eligible activities you've completed.
- Use the online Documentation Form—or another method you prefer— to track your activities, as long as you capture the following information:
- A description of the educational activity (include details such as title, author/presenter, event date, event location, etc.)
- Applicable CFA Institute Global Body of Investment Knowledge (GBIK®) (PDF) topics
- A description of how the activity contributed to your development as an investment performance professional
- Activity completion date
- Number of credits earned
Please note that activities sponsored by CFA Institute will not be automatically recorded for you. Please record your activities using one of the above methods.
Credits earned for MPL may not be carried into the next cycle.
To validate the integrity of the MPL, you may be subject to a compliance review of your PL activities. Learn more about our compliance review policy in our guidebook.
Access the MPL Guidebook
Get an overview of the MPL program and find additional information about how to earn and calculate credit, determine eligible activities, and document your participation.
Browse the Collection
Explore our collection of educational resources designed to help you stay competitive in the investment management industry. Filter by topic, format, or product series to find your next MPL program activity.