Understanding Your Application Process
Membership renewal and join transactions will be unavailable from 12:00 pm ET 18 November to 12:00 pm ET 22 November while system maintenance is performed.
Editing Saved Applications
The contents of your membership application can be edited while in Saved status. Once submitted, changes cannot be made.
If you need to edit the contents of your application and it is already in either the Work Experience Review or Under Review - Society state, you will first need to withdraw the application. When you withdraw, the references that were submitted with that application will remain with your record and do not need to be resubmitted when you reapply.
Understanding Application Statuses
Find out what your application status means.
- Saved: Your application has been saved, but not submitted for review.
- Work Experience Review: CFA Institute is currently evaluating your work experience. This can take up to 10 business days.
- Under Review- Society: Your application is being evaluated by the society. Society review can take up to 30 calendar days.
- Approved: Your application for membership was approved. Membership may need to be activated by paying dues and/or filing the Professional Conduct Statement.
- Not Approved: CFA Institute completed the review of your application, but membership requirements have not been met.
- Withdrawn: Your application was withdrawn from review.
- Expired: Your application remained in society review for more than 180 days; you should re-apply.
Application Review Timeframe
CFA Institute may take up to 10 business days to review regular membership applications. Once completed, we send the application to the local society for review. Affiliate membership applications are sent directly to the society for review. Society review times vary, but may take up to four weeks for regular member applications. You will receive an email once your application review is complete.
Help us keep in touch by ensuring that your contact information is up to date. If we have questions regarding your work experience, we will contact you by email or phone.
Manage Your Applications
Log in to your account to join CFA Institute or edit your member and society applications.
What to Do After Membership Approval
We will notify you by email when your application has been approved. You then need to join CFA Institute. Log into your CFA Institute account to complete the following: