Online Proctored Testing (OPT)
ProProctor online proctored testing provides an additional testing option for candidates, enabling them to take examinations at home without needing to travel to a test center. Should candidates wish to take their exam in-person in a test center, this option is still available.
To see if you can take your exam from home, please see the detailed system requirements below.
Candidates must ensure that they can meet the system requirements and run the systems test before scheduling an examination via ProProctor Online Proctoring.
Before You Schedule
Check Equipment and Internet Connection Requirements
You need to ensure you meet the minimum technical requirements to run the exam successfully. If you cannot meet the requirements listed below, you should not register for an OPT exam appointment; the exam won't run successfully.
- Screen Resolution: 1024 X 768
- Operating System: Windows 8 or above / MacOS
- Web Browser: Latest Google Chrome
- WebCam Resolution: 640 X 480p
- Microphone: Enabled
- Download Speed: 0.5 mbps
If you can confirm your device and connectivity can meet these requirements, you must then complete a system check. This check is carried out via Prometric, our testing vendor, and will confirm your internet speed, webcam and microphone performance. It is important to complete these tests on the same network and computer you will use on exam day, in the same location.
If your computer or internet access has any upgrades after you run the system test, and before your exam, it is important that you re-run this test before exam day.
Link to system readiness check: https://rpcandidate.prometric.com/
Please note that passing the system test does not necessarily mean that you fulfill the minimum technical specification. It is therefore essential to complete both checks and confirm you successfully meet both criteria.
Check Environmental Requirements, Including Room and Desk Setup
You will be required to agree to all the rules and regulations of the exam when you register for your exam. Please be aware of the following:
- You must take your exam in a private and quiet room for the full duration of the exam.
- Only bathroom breaks are permitted during the exam. However, you must notify your proctor before leaving the camera view and have them confirm you are taking a break. Your exam time will continue to run during any breaks. If you do not communicate with your proctor regarding your break, your exam session may be terminated.
- You will not be allowed to use to scratch paper. The exam software will include a digital notebook in which you can take virtual notes to reference.
- You will not be allowed to use additional monitors during the exam.
- You will be filmed throughout the exam and these and other data will be shared with 3rd parties for the sole purposes of running the exam and for other related post-exam activities.
- You can take your exam at home, or an alternative location such as in your office. Make sure you can meet the important requirements which must be followed regardless of where you sit your exam. If your room does not meet all of these requirements, you will be unable to start or complete your exam. To reduce the risk of experiencing any technical issues during your exam, you should run the system test in the exact same location that you plan to sit your live exam.
- You may have photographs and pictures on your walls as long as there is no writing, or notes, whiteboards with notes etc. If the check-in agent is unsure of what is on the wall you may be asked to remove it. If it cannot be removed, the check-in agent may capture a photograph of the wall.
Register and Schedule
Registration and scheduling is a two-step process. You will register for the Certificate in ESG Investing and then schedule your specific exam appointment. Register by accessing your CFA account and selecting the Certificate in ESG Investing tile. Once you have completed registration, you will be directed to schedule your exam appointment.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is OPT?
Online Proctored Testing provides candidates with the opportunity to take the Certificate in ESG Investing from their home. Live remote proctors monitor the exam by camera.
Can I take this exam any time?
The Certificate in ESG Investing will be offered on a continuous basis, but you will need to schedule a specific appointment time with ProProctor.
Will I get my results right away?
- Your exam results will be provided at the end of your examination.
- Your results will also be available in your CFA Institute account shortly after your exam.
What is the exam experience like?
To get an idea of how exam day will go, watch this video from Prometric.
Could Online Proctored Testing (OPT) be an option for me?
The convenience of testing from home can be very appealing. The reality though, is that the requirements are strict and can be difficult to comply with. Please read the requirements thoroughly before deciding on this option.
To take this exam at home, several criteria must be met. Please make sure you understand these requirements and can meet them before you schedule your OPT exam. Please read details above to learn about the criteria for home testing.
What Will Happen After Exam Day?
In addition to receiving your exam results immediately after your exam, they will be available in your CFA Institute account.