CFA Level II Questions & Exam Format
CFA Level II Exam Structure and Duration
Structure: The CFA Level II exam consists of 22 item sets comprised of vignettes with 88 accompanying multiple-choice questions.
Duration: The Level II exam will be 4 hours and 24 minutes, split into two equal sessions of 2 hours and 12 minutes, with an optional break in-between.
How Many Hours Does It Take to Study for the CFA Level II Exam?
The CFA® Program enables candidates to customize their preparation to match their individual needs and circumstances. Following are some numbers to consider in planning a study strategy for the CFA Level II exam.
- Successful candidates report studying on average over 300 hours for each level of the CFA Exam.
- About half of successful candidates passing the LIII exam passed each exam on the first attempt (i.e. sat a total of three exams) while about a quarter sat a total of four exams.
CFA Level II Exam Question Format
CFA Exam Item Set Format
The Level II exam is standardized with 11 item sets for each session, for a total of 22 on the exam. Twenty are scored, and two are questions we are trialing that will not be scored.
Multiple-choice questions in each item set must be answered based on the information in the vignette. Hence, the items are not free-standing, as in the CFA Level I exam. You will need to refer to the vignette before answering each item.
The CFA® Program curriculum topic areas for Level II will be randomly placed on the exam. All topics may be covered in either the first and second sessions, or possibly both sessions. Each item set vignette will begin with a statement of the topic and total point value. For example:
TOPIC: QUANTITATIVE METHODS
TOTAL POINT VALUE OF THIS QUESTION SET IS 12 POINTS
CFA Level II Exam Tips
- Exam questions referring to Financial Statement Analysis are based on International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) unless otherwise specified. When a question is based on US GAAP, it will be stated in the question.
- Be comfortable with your calculator. Make sure you know how to use the calculator features needed to address the learning outcome statements (LOS).
- Answer all questions. There is no penalty for incorrect answers.
- Dress comfortably. There is no dress code, but dress in layers for comfort.
- Take a CFA Level II mock exam to practice answering exam questions. This experience is designed to mimic the actual exam-day.
- Learn how hardware/software at the test centers may impact your exam-day experience.
- Review the CFA exam calendar for key dates and to meet pre-exam deadlines.