Calculating and Managing Your CE Credits
To maintain and improve professional competence, an important part of our Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct, we recommend members complete a minimum of 20 Continuing Education (CE) credits, including 2 Standards, Ethics, and Regulations (SER) credits, each calendar year.
Calculating CE Credit
- One CE credit hour is equal to one hour of educational activity.
- Credit may also be earned in half-hour increments (rounded to the nearest half hour). If applicable, Standards, Ethics, and Regulations (SER) credit is a subset (either in part or whole) of the total credit earned.
As a convenience to our members, we provide automated and one-click entry of CE credit into your Continuing Education online tracking resource for many activities available through the CFA Institute website. Use the guidelines and reference times below when recording additional credits online.
Credits Recorded for You
We provide automated entry of CE credits for the following prequalified activities. You will receive an email notification each time your online record has been updated.
- Attend CFA Institute Conferences
- Attend prequalified programs or events offered through local CFA Societies and select organizations
- Pass the CFA Program Level I, II, and/or III exam
- Pass the CIPM Program Level I and/or II exam
- Participate in CFA Institute committees or other volunteer opportunities
Record Your CFA Institute Activities
All content that you consume on CFA Institute’s website will indicate whether or not it is eligible for CE credit and provides the option for you to record your CE credit online with one click. As you read, watch, or listen, be sure to record your credits.
Record Your Credit for Other Activities
Credit earned for an activity can be calculated by using clock time (the actual time spent engaged in the educational activity) or by using the following recommended activity reference times.
Carry Your Credits Forward
Once you exceed the minimum recommendation of 20 CE credits, including 2 SER credits, you will be prompted to activate automated carry-forward of credits. (For example, you will be prompted to activate carry-forward after your credit summary reflects credits equal to or greater than 20.5 CE credits, including 2.5 SER credits.) You will be prompted once you exceed the recommended minimums for each calendar year.
Ready to Record or Manage Your Credits?
Log in to:
- Record new CE credits
- Review your learning activities from current and prior years
- Generate, export, and save reports