CIPM Personal Belongings Policy
The CIPM Personal Belongings Policy lists the items that may be permitted in the testing room and those that may not. View the lists below.
You are strongly encouraged to leave your personal belongings at home or in your car. As a courtesy, your test center will have an area away from the testing room designated for personal belongings. If testing personnel find items that are not permitted, you will be required to place them in the personal belongings area. You will not have access to these items during the exam.
Please note that it is not the responsibility of the testing personnel to ensure the safety of the materials in the personal belongings area. CFA® Institute, testing personnel, the test center, and vendors are not responsible or liable for stolen, lost, misplaced or damaged personal property in the personal belongings area or at the test centers. Additionally, some items may require inspection as part of the check-in process.
The following items are permitted in the testing room but must be kept in full view on your desk when not in use:
- Approved calculator
- Calculator cases and keystroke cards
- Additional personal items allowed in the test center (PDF)
No other items are permitted, including:
- Food or drinks
- Wallet (money purse)
- Baggage of any kind, including transparent bags, backpacks, handbags, tote bags, briefcases, luggage, carrying cases, passport covers, or eyeglass cases
- Study materials, including notes, papers, textbooks, or study guides
- Writing utensils, scratch paper, or calculator manuals
- Mobile phones, cameras, headsets, computers, tablets, wearable technology (such as fitbit® or other fitness tracking devices), smart watches, or any Bluetooth®-enabled or any remote communication or photographic devices
- Any type of desk clock or timer, including wristwatches
You will be provided with a whiteboard/erasable writing tablet for use during the exam.