CIPM Program Refunds and Deferrals Policy
For candidates submitting an initial registration for CIPM Exams in 2021, a full refund of your registration fees is available within fourteen (14) days of payment (through 11:59 PM Eastern Time on the fourteenth day). An initial registration does not include a registration made to reschedule an exam sitting that was either deferred by the candidate or postponed by CFA Institute. Due to fluctuating exchange rates, CFA Institute cannot guarantee the exact amount paid to CFA Institute will be the amount returned in currency other than US currency. After the fourteen-day period has ended, registration fees are nonrefundable, even in the event of a medical condition or other extreme circumstance. Registration fees are non-transferrable.
Deferrals to the next available exam are considered on a case-by-case basis, and only in the event of one of the following, impacting the candidate or a member of his/her immediate family:
- government, employer, or university travel restriction that prevents a candidate from attending the exam (documentation required)
- a positive COVID test within 60 days of the candidate’s scheduled exam appointment (documentation required)
- concern over sitting for the exam because of COVID does not qualify for a deferral. CBT group sizes are smaller and the testing environment is easier to adhere to safety standards. Please watch this video from our exam vendor, Prometric, to learn what the exam day experience may look like as a result of COVID guidelines.
- life-threatening illness (candidate or immediate family member) in the exam window;
- death of a candidate’s immediate family member;
- mandatory military service (candidate only) in the exam window;
- pregnancy (candidate only); or
- natural disaster (candidate’s local area).
The candidate’s immediate family is defined as only the candidate’s parent, grandparent, sibling, spouse/domestic partner, or child. Deferral requests must be received by CFA Institute prior to or within 10 US business days after the exam window. Decisions on deferrals are final and are at the sole discretion of CFA Institute. Candidates awarded a deferral are responsible for all applicable new curriculum charges.
As a reminder, candidates are bound by the Code of Ethics at all times throughout their candidacy.