CFA® Exam Disability Accommodations
Due to increased volumes, processing time for accommodation requests is 6 weeks. We are prioritizing requests in the order of exam windows.
Candidates with Granted Disability Accommodations: Prometric is experiencing a heavy call volume. We ask for your patience as we work to get your appointment scheduled. The general scheduling deadline does not apply to Disability Accommodations candidates. Any emails from CFA Institute in reference to this can be disregarded.
We are committed to offering the CFA exam in a manner and location accessible to individuals with disabilities and in compliance with legal regulations. Legal regulations apply to candidates with a significant impairment that limits, as compared to most people in the general population, their ability to sit for the exam. We do not guarantee that requests for special testing accommodations will be granted, regardless of whether you have previously received special testing accommodations.
Accommodations requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis and must be submitted before the disability accommodations request deadlines as listed below. Request forms and/or documentation submitted after the registration deadline will not be reviewed.
Candidates who wish to submit a request for disability accommodations should not schedule their exam appointment until a determination has been made on their request.
Received accommodations on a past CFA exam?
You still need to submit a Disability Accommodations Request Form for each administration. If you are requesting the same accommodations as you received on a previous exam, no documentation is required. If you would like to change your accommodations, you must submit the Disability Accommodations Request Form along with new documentation that supports your updated request.
August 2022 CFA Exam
The final deadline to request Disability Accommodations for the August 2022 exam has passed.
November 2022 CFA Exam
The final deadline to request Disability Accommodations for the November 2022 exam has passed.
February 2023 CFA Exam
- If you register by 9 August, your deadline is 18 October 2022
- If you register between 10 August – 8 November, your deadline is 15 November 2022
May 2023 CFA Exam
- If you register by 2 November 2022, your deadline is 16 January 2023
- If you register between 3 November 2022 – 31 January 2023, your deadline is 6 February 2023
What You Need to Know Before Submitting Your Request
- You must be registered for an exam;
- The completed form and required documentation must be submitted in English;
- All of the required documentation must be submitted within ten (10) business days of submitting the Disability Accommodations Request Form but no later than the applicable deadline;
- Please allow four (4) weeks for the review and processing of your request. You will receive notification regarding the status of your request once it has been evaluated, along with next steps for scheduling your exam appointment.
- Some testing accommodations are not able to be scheduled online. In these cases, you will be instructed to contact Prometric directly. A member of the Prometric team will work to schedule an exam appointment inclusive of your granted accommodations in your preferred testing area. Please note that this process may require additional time to arrange the logistical aspects of your granted accommodations request.
- The exam appointment general scheduling deadline does not apply to Disability Accommodations candidates. Any emails from CFA Institute in reference to this can be disregarded.
- CFA Institute does not guarantee that your request for disability accommodations will be granted, even if you have previously received disability accommodations.
- CFA Institute does not reimburse for the costs associated with obtaining any required medical documentation.
- You will be required to submit new medical and supporting documentation if it has been more than seven years since you last sat for an exam.
- Please review Prometric’s Pre-Approved Personal Items List for permissible items that you are allowed to bring to your exam appointment and do not require an accommodations request.
Disability Accommodations Request Form and Documentation Requirements
Disability Accommodations Request Form (log-in required) Requests must be submitted by the published deadline. Request forms submitted after the deadline will not be reviewed.
The Medical Professional Questionnaire (PDF)
This form must be completed by a qualified medical professional and returned to us.
Comprehensive Diagnostic Evaluation Report
You will need to submit your most recent evaluation report, which should be three years old or less (expand to see additional guidelines). The evaluation report should be conducted by a qualified professional with expertise in the disability for which the accommodation is sought. Letters from your medical professional are not considered comprehensive and may not be submitted in lieu of this requirement.
Guidelines for the Comprehensive Diagnostic Evaluation Report
The Comprehensive Diagnostic Evaluation Report should, at a minimum:
- Clearly state the diagnosed disability;
- Be up-to-date and comprehensive
- Candidates may submit an evaluation report that is more than three years old; however, it may be necessary to obtain a more recent evaluation report to determine appropriate accommodations. If this is deemed necessary, you will be notified accordingly.
- With the exception of physical disabilities (inclusive of visual and hearing impairments), the qualified professional should base the diagnosis from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) or equivalent diagnostic standards (non-US);
- Include complete educational, developmental, and medical histories relevant to the disability for which testing accommodations are being sought;
- Include a list of the objective and norm-referenced test batteries (e.g., WAIS-IV, WIAT-III, WJ-IV, GORT-V, etc.) and test scores used to document the disability;
- For physical disabilities (inclusive of visual and hearing impairments), objective evidence should be provided in the form of the diagnostic tests administered and test scores, medical reports, surgical/procedural reports, physical therapy notes, photographs and scans (e.g., MRI, CAT, Retinal, etc.)
- Describe the specific accommodations requested;
- Be typed or printed on official letterhead and be signed by an evaluator qualified to make the diagnosis (with information regarding licenses or certifications, and area of specialization)
Supporting Documentation (log-in required)
In order to help support your request, please submit documentation that demonstrates a history of impairment or limitation such as previous evaluation reports, proof of prior testing accommodations, proof of special educational services or plans, standardized test scores on college-entrance or professional exams (e.g., SAT, ACT, GRE, GMAT, LSAT), academic records (e.g., transcripts, teacher comments), etc.
After You Have Submitted Your Request
Contact Exam Administration for questions or additional information regarding the disability accommodations process.