CIPM® Program Candidate Agreement
When you enroll in the CIPM Program, you will be prompted to read and sign a candidate agreement that is similar to the following:
- Legal Nature of Candidate Agreement. By registering for the CIPM Program, you understand, accept, and agree to comply with the CIPM Program Candidate Agreement, as amended from time to time. You understand CFA Institute has the authority to void your exam result, and reject, suspend, or terminate your candidacy at any time for your failure to comply with the Candidate Agreement. You understand that you will not be a candidate for the CIPM Program unless and until CFA Institute has received full payment of your enrollment and registration fees and you meet all other criteria for admission.
- Professional Conduct Criteria. As a candidate in the CIPM Program, you must abide by the CIPM Program Candidate Agreement, all testing policies and rules, and the CFA Institute governing documents including the Bylaws, Code of Ethics, Standards of Professional Conduct, and Rules of Procedure: Exam-Related Conduct, as amended from time to time. The decision by CFA Institute not to take action against any candidate for breach of the foregoing does not waive the right of CFA Institute to take action against any candidate for a future breach of the same or similar nature.
- Misconduct and Rules Violations. You agree that you will comply with all testing rules required by CFA Institute and/or the test administrator, including those listed below.
- No Cheating. You agree that you will not cheat and that all work submitted by you in completing the CIPM exam, including exam answers and information provided during the registration process, is entirely your own. You will not give or receive assistance on the exam, attempt to communicate with fellow candidates or other persons during the exam, or use unauthorized materials during the exam.
- No Misconduct. You agree that you will not: (i) create any disturbance during the exam; (ii) remove exam information or notes from the testing room; (iii) falsify your identity or impersonate another individual to gain access to the exam; (iv) use unauthorized materials during the exam (these include but are not limited to using scratch paper, headsets, listening devices, paging devices (beepers), mobile phones, recording or photographic devices and study materials); (v) use unauthorized distributions of exam questions, with or without answers, in preparation for the exam; (vi) copy, resell, distribute or misuse any CIPM exam offer code(s) or any other CIPM exam discount; (vii) violate any testing policy or term of this agreement; (viii) violate the Prometric Test Center Regulations in any way; or (ix) engage in any other misconduct that could be considered by CFA Institute, in its sole discretion, as compromising the integrity, security, or confidentiality of the CIPM program.
- No Disclosure. You understand and agree that the CIPM exam is confidential and proprietary information of CFA Institute. You agree to maintain the confidentiality of the CIPM exam and not disclose, whether verbally or in writing, the content of the exam or any part of the exam. You further agree not to request any other individual to disclose the exam or any part of the exam to you. The exam materials are the exclusive property of CFA Institute and are protected by trade secret, contract, copyright, and other laws. No part of the exam materials may be copied or reproduced in part or in whole by any means whatsoever, including memorization, note-taking, or electronic transmission, unless previously authorized by CFA Institute. This prohibition includes reproduction orally, in writing, in any Internet “chat room or closed group,” message board, forum, or otherwise. Unauthorized disclosure of the exam’s content could result in legal and/or disciplinary action.
- No Misuse. You agree that you will not copy, publish, disclose, transmit, sell, offer to sell, post, distribute, or otherwise transfer, modify, make derivative works of, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or translate the exam or exam content, in whole or in part, in any form or by any means, verbal or written, electronic or mechanical, for any purpose.
- Violations. Misconduct and violations of this agreement, the CFA Institute Code of Ethics, and/or the CFA Institute Standards of Professional Conduct may come to the attention of the CFA Institute Professional Conduct Program through many sources, including witness/proctor reports, complaints, use of similarity analysis, publicly available information, and/or review of candidates’ exam materials. The Professional Conduct Program may conduct an investigation, pursuant to the Rules of Procedure: Exam-Related Conduct, of any matter involving, or appearing to involve, any misconduct or violation of any term of this agreement or the CFA Institute Code of Ethics and/or the CFA Institute Standards of Professional Conduct. As part of the investigation or disciplinary proceeding, CFA Institute may (i) contact any person or entity it believes may be able to provide relevant information, documents, and/or assistance in the investigation, (ii) void or withhold your exam result, (iii) sanction you, including, but not limited to suspension or termination of your candidacy in the CIPM Program, and/or (iv) take legal action against you.
- Professional Conduct Program Communications. The Professional Conduct Program may send notices and documents relating to any investigation or disciplinary proceeding to your mailing address or e-mail address as shown in CFA Institute records. You are responsible for keeping CFA Institute advised of current mailing and e-mail addresses.
- Compliance with Testing Policies. You agree that you will comply with all testing policies required by CFA Institute and/or the test administrator, including the policies listed below.
- Exam Appointment Policy. You are responsible for scheduling your exam appointment with Prometric at least 9 days before your exam window closes. If you reschedule your appointment at any point after the initial scheduling, you will be charged a non-refundable US$ 25 fee and any applicable taxes. Any appointment cancellation and/or reschedule must be made at least 24 hours prior to your appointment. If you fail to schedule your appointment or fail to sit for the exam within your exam window, your exam fees are non-refundable, non-deferrable, and non-transferable.
- Admission Policy. CFA Institute recommends that you arrive 30 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment. You agree that if you arrive late for your appointment you may be refused admission. If you are refused admission, your exam fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Security Policy. Prometric test center personnel will perform security inspections during the check-in process. This includes inspection of personal belongings, clothing and eyeglasses, as well as the use of a metal detector wand to ensure you are not carrying electronic devices into the testing room. Test centers are also monitored by CCTV. You agree to comply with all of Prometric’s security procedures.
- Identification Policy. You must have a valid, international travel passport to participate in the CIPM Program. A valid, international travel passport is defined as a document that:
- Certifies, for the purpose of international travel, the identity and nationality of its holder;
- Passport cards, driver’s license, national identification cards, limited travel documents, internal passports, and passports that are clipped, hole-punched, or marked cancelled are not valid forms of identification for the CIPM Program.
- Is an original document (photocopies will not be accepted)
- Is current (not expired or cancelled);
- Contains your name, date of birth, passport number, and expiration date;
- Is machine readable (handwritten passports will not be acceptable);
- Includes a recognizable photograph on the passport data page.
- Calculator Policy. Only two calculator models are authorized for use during CIPM Program exams:
- Texas Instruments BA II Plus (including BA II Plus Professional)
- Hewlett Packard 12C (including the HP 12C Platinum, 12C 25th anniversary edition, 12C 30th anniversary edition, and HP 12C Prestige)
Bring the approved calculator with you on exam day; calculators will not be available at the test center. You may not borrow from or share a calculator with another candidate during the exam.
Your calculator will be inspected prior to the start of the exam. Your calculator must remain on your desk in full view during your exam. Failure by the proctors to detect an unauthorized calculator prior to the start of the exam, or your possession and/or use of an unauthorized calculator at any time during the exam, does not imply the calculator is an approved model or your results will be reported.Calculator covers, keystroke cards, and loose batteries are permitted in the testing room; instruction manuals are not.
- Personal Belongings Policy. You agree to place all personal belongings in a secure individual storage locker for the duration of the exam. You will not be allowed to access your locker until you have completed your exam. CFA Institute, testing personnel, the test center, and vendors are not responsible or liable for stolen, lost, misplaced, or damaged personal belongings. Some items may require inspection as part of check in. The following items are prohibited from the testing room:
- Food or drinks.
- Wallet (money purse).
- Baggage of any kind, including transparent bags, backpacks, handbags, tote bags, briefcases, luggage, carrying cases, passport covers, or eyeglass cases.
- Study materials, including notes, papers, textbooks, or study guides.
- Writing utensils, scratch paper, or calculator manuals.
- Mobile phones, cameras, headsets, computers, tablets, wearable technology (such as Fitbit® or other fitness tracking devices), smart watches, or any Bluetooth®-enabled or any remote communication or photographic devices.
- Any type of desk clock or timer, including wristwatches.
You will be provided with a whiteboard or erasable writing tablet for use during the exam.Certain medically necessary items may be allowed in the testing room with prior approval. Contact CFA Institute with any questions.
- Exam Record Policy. Detailed exam scores and responses to exam questions are used by CFA Institute for measurement. This information is owned by CFA Institute, is not the property of the candidate, and will not be provided to candidates for any reason.
- Candidate Conduct Pledge. At the test center, you will be required to agree to a candidate pledge in which you agree to comply with the Standard VII(A) of the CFA Institute Standards of Professional Conduct.
- Test Centers. The CIPM exam is administered at many Prometric test centers around the world. To see where the CIPM exam is offered, please visit the CFA Institute website. You will be able to schedule your exam date and test center location after registration. Please note that not all Prometric test centers are eligible to administer the CIPM exam, so you must confirm availability prior to completing your registration. In addition, testing may be suspended at any test center where it is deemed appropriate to do so. If a test center becomes unavailable and you do not yet have an exam appointment, your exam fees may be non-refundable, non-deferrable, and non-transferrable. If you are scheduled to take the exam at a test center that becomes unavailable, Prometric will attempt to contact you to select an alternate location and/or alternate appointment time. We reserve the right to not issue refunds or deferrals if an alternate appointment(s) time is available, even if you either cannot, or do not want to take the exam on any of the alternate dates or times. If an alternate location within reasonable travel distance is unavailable, please contact CFA Institute. CFA Institute also reserves the right to refuse to make the CIPM exam available to a candidate where it receives information suggesting that the candidate may be disruptive at a testing center or before, during, or immediately after the test administration.
- Testing Accommodations. CFA Institute offers the CIPM exam in a manner and location accessible to individuals with documented disabilities in compliance with the law. More information about requesting a testing accommodation can be found at our website.
- Refund Policy. A full refund of your enrollment and registration fees is available within three (3) days of payment (through midnight Eastern Time on the third day) if you change your mind. Registration refunds are also considered on a case-by-case basis for life-threatening or very serious illnesses (candidate or immediate family), natural disasters, and mandatory military service. This does not guarantee a refund to any candidate for any condition but instead provides CFA Institute with the discretion to determine which requests it approves and denies. Candidates awarded a refund are responsible for all applicable new curriculum charges. Refund requests must be received by CFA Institute prior to the scheduled exam or within 10 U.S. business days after the exam date. Written requests for refunds can be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. All refunds will be issued in the same payment method used for registration. Due to fluctuating exchange rates outside of our control, we cannot guarantee that the exact amount paid to CFA Institute will be the same amount returned in the original currency. Decisions on refund requests by CFA Institute are final.
- Results Policy. You will receive a result of “pass” or “fail” along with information on your topic area performance. CFA Institute does not offer an appeals process or re-marking service. CFA Institute will notify you when your official exam results are available. If a third party either paid for your registration or you received discounted registration through your employer (“Third Party Payer”) CFA Institute may share your exam result with the Third Party Payer in the form of: (1) pass; (2) fail; or (3) results unavailable. Exam results may be unavailable for a variety of reasons, including your failure to appear for or complete the exam, the occurrence of disturbances or irregularities at a test center, or potential misconduct. CFA Institute will not divulge information to the Third Party Payer beyond the three categories listed above, however, the Third Party Payer may independently communicate with you directly regarding the circumstances leading to an unavailable result. A passing exam result may be voided at any time pursuant to Section 3 of this Candidate Agreement.
- Trademark Restrictions. You agree that nothing in this agreement authorizes you to use any CFA Institute trademarks, service marks, or logos.
- OFAC Regulations. As a U.S. corporation, CFA Institute must abide by the regulations of the U.S. Department of the Treasury, Office of Foreign Asset Control (“OFAC”). OFAC regulations prohibit us from doing business with persons ordinarily resident in certain countries, as well as persons/entities on the Specially Designated Nationals (“SDN”) List. By registering for the exam, you represent these restrictions do not apply to you or your employer. If you attempt to register for an exam despite applicable sanctions, we will cancel your registration and you will not receive a refund. Review the OFAC Compliance Policy.
- REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES. CFA INSTITUTE MAKES NO WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, RELATED TO OR ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THIS AGREEMENT. CFA INSTITUTE SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY FOR MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
- Limitation of Liability. The CIPM exam is administered by an authorized independent contractor. You acknowledge and agree that CFA Institute shall have no liability to you for any claim in any way related to the CIPM exam, including enrollment, registration, and exam fees, the testing environment, and delivery of your certificate, and for any acts, omissions or breaches of law by Prometric. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, CFA INSTITUTE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY LOSS OF PROFITS, REVENUE, DATA OR USE. LIABILITY OF CFA INSTITUTE FOR DIRECT DAMAGES, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE FEES PAID TO CFA INSTITUTE BY YOU UNDER THIS AGREEMENT.
- Changes and Modifications. CFA Institute reserves the right to discontinue and change the CIPM Program or any aspect of it at any time, including but not limited to program entrance requirements, exam content, exam passing score, and/or testing policies. This agreement will not change from the point of registration until you receive your exam results but may be changed for future administrations. Changes will be posted on the CFA Institute website and you agree to be bound by these changes.
- Governing Law and Jurisdiction. The laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA govern this agreement. The parties consent to exclusive jurisdiction and venue in the federal or state courts in Albemarle County, Virginia, USA.
- Relationship of the Parties. The obligations of the parties shall be limited to those expressly set forth herein. Neither party is taking on a fiduciary relationship with the other via partnership, joint venture, or other method of creating such a relationship. The entire relationship is governed by this document. No one other than a party to the agreement with CFA Institute for the provision of the CIPM exam may enforce any of its terms.
- Reservation of Rights. In addition to any other rights and remedies provided by law or this agreement, CFA Institute hereby expressly reserves all of its rights and remedies arising out of a breach of this agreement and/or any infringement of any of intellectual property of CFA Institute.