CFA Program Identification Policy
CFA Institute requires that every CFA® Program candidate have a valid international travel passport to register and sit for the exam. Get the details and find out if your passport is valid under this policy.
A Valid International Travel Passport
- Certifies your identity for the purpose of international travel (learn more about unacceptable forms of identification);
- Is an original document (photocopies are not allowed) and is current (not expired);
- Contains your name,* date of birth, passport number, and expiration date;
- Is machine readable** (handwritten passports will not be accepted); and
- Includes a recognizable photograph on the passport data page.
- Is required when you register for the exam and during check-in for both the morning and afternoon sessions on exam day.
See how the information above appears on your passport.
Updating Passport Details
If the name, passport number, and expiration date on your passport do not exactly match the information printed on your admission ticket or you present an invalid ID, you will not be permitted to take the exam and you will forfeit your registration fee. Failure by proctors to detect an invalid ID does not imply that the ID is valid or that you will receive an exam result. More information about what to do if you can't obtain a passport (or will not have it on exam day).
You can update the expiration date and passport number in your account. All other identification changes, including name, must be updated by submitting a Name Change Request Form (PDF). Processing time is 3-5 business days upon receipt, with the exception of peak exam periods.
Need to update your passport?
- Login to confirm or update the passport information on file.
- To update your name as it appears in your account, submit the Identification Information Change Request (PDF). (Review the Identification Policy for more information.)
*Acceptable Name Variations
|Name on Passport||Name on Admission Ticket|
|Doe Maria Jane||Maria Jane Doe|
|Maria Jane Doe||Jane Maria Doe|
|MARIA JANE DOE||Maria Jane Doe|
|Maria Jane Doé||Maria Jane Doe|
**The United Nations agency ICAO has determined that all non machine-readable passports are considered expired as of 24 November 2015. Therefore, international travel passports that are not machine-readable (including handwritten passports) will be considered invalid for entry into the CFA exam. Please note: A machine readable passport has two lines of text as letters, numbers and chevrons (<<<<<) at the bottom of the data page (the page containing your photo and personal information) of your passport.