CFA® Program Candidate Checklist
In addition to studying for the exam, you also need to prepare for exam day – getting to the test center, getting in, what to wear, and so on. Here's a high-level timeline.
Several Months Prior to Exam Day
- Review the testing policies.
- Confirm your valid international travel passport – the only type of identification accepted – does not expire before your exam date. (If your passport expires prior to exam day, read the identification exceptions)
- Ensure you have all the travel documents you need (e.g., a visa) to get to the test center.
During the Month Prior to Exam Day
- Plan your travel route to the test center on exam day. (What will the traffic be like on exam day? Is there road construction or other events which could impact your travel time?)
- Confirm the name in your CFA Institute account matches the name on your international travel passport.
- Make sure you know all the testing policies; violating any CFA Program rules, regulations, or policies may lead to suspension or termination of your candidacy.
- Review the Rules of Procedure (PDF).
During the Week Prior to Exam Day
- What to wear on exam day? Face coverings (covering the nose and mouth) are required to be worn while in the test centers. Temperatures at test centers can vary. Plan to wear layers of clothing (e.g., a sweater) so you can be comfortable.
- What belongings can I bring into the test center? Be sure to read the entire Personal Belongings Policy.
- What are you going to eat on exam day? You may bring your own food and water, but it must be kept either in your small bag or under your chair. Water stations are not available at test centers. Food may not be accessed or consumed during the timed portion of the exam.